in rural Nottinghamshire  
spacer
 
   

Maplebeck Village Hall Management Committee (“VHC”)

Minutes of Meeting
The Village Hall in Maplebeck
4 May 2016

Present:   Derek Sayer (DS) (chair); Brendan Carson; (BC) Bob Gardner; (BG); Des Cashell (DC); Sue Carson (SC); Jenny Bladon (JB) (minutes)

1.      Apologies:   Andy Colclough (AC)

 

 

Action

2.

Andy Colclough was formally co-opted on to the committee. All existing members agreed to continue to serve in their current roles. There is a vacancy for a vice chair.

 

 

3.

Minutes of the Meeting on 9 March 2016:-

The minutes were approved as circulated

 

 

4.

Matters Arising:-

Residents of Winkburn are to be sent a flyer (text agreed by the committee) in a final attempt to attract them to use the hall. BC to post through each door

We have had no success in identifying a Winkburn resident who would serve on the committee.

DS has met with Andy Hall,  Chair of Hockerton Parish Meeting and agreed a meeting between the committee and representatives from Hockerton to explore their using the Hall on a regular/semi regular basis. Meeting to take place on 2 June at 7pm in the hall.

BG reported that the name of our charity to The Village Hall in Maplebeck has been approved by the charity commission. As a result we can proceed with opening new account with NatWest and this is in hand. BG to notify committee when new account is open.
BG/DS to agree who needs to be notified of name change – utility companies etc. BG to produce list

DS BG and DC met on 17 March to discuss the homeworker’s forum. It has been decided to start an on-line forum. DC investigating appropriate software. Hopefully it will be possible to link this with the village website. DC to progress. It was suggested that the village hall should have its own website in the future.

 

 

BC

 

 

 

 

BG

 

 

 

DC

 

5.

Treasurers report:-

Village Hall Accounts – BG had circulated a report summarising the movements on the Current Account from 1 January 2016 to 31 March 2016, details of receipts and details of expenditure. It was noted that:-

    • Balance on the bank current account at 31 March 2016 was £851

Planned expenditure:

DS recommended the purchase of an external notice board to be fitted on gable end of exterior wall. Style to match that of the building and contain the heading “The Village Hall” Cost would be £968.
Curling equipment. – several committee members had taken part in an introductory demonstration by members of Eakring WI. This had been a great success and it was agreed to purchase stones and targets costing £300 later in the year. DS to purchase sponge bumpers for £15

 

 

 

6.

Faults Actions

Schedule produced by DS and presented to the meeting accepted.
All faults now rectified with the exception of the decorating which MC will carry out once damp patch has dried out.
DS reported that danger notices have been placed next to hot taps which warn of very hot water due to a boiler modification, which will be reversed.
The fire strips on the internal doors are not wearing as quickly as hoped meaning the doors are still noisy when opened.

DS

 

DS

 

DS

7

Events Review

Rob Heron’s band village venture had made a surplus of £80.30, which compensated for the shortfall on the children’s Shoe Kangaroo show of £64.
The quiz made a surplus of £350
Film nights continue to be successful - £170 surplus made since September. DS reported that he had sold a collection of records for £100 and was selling brand new DVDs at film nights with proceeds going to the Hall.
DS to send email to regular mailing list offering the facility to show favourite films to family and friends at private functions.
DC asked whether it would be possible to show TV programmes eg sporting events. DS to enquire
Childrens film shows appear to be doing well DS to review with Sue Hopcroft and Katherine Cashell after next film show.

 

 

 

DS

 

DS

DS

7 (cont)

Programme of special events

May
5th Police Commissioners election
20th Wine Tasting

June
3rd Thankful Villages   Opening Event
23rd EU referendum
25th Village Fete

Committee members were encouraged to continue the process of implementing other planned activities.

Thankful Villages event – To celebrate this an album has been produced which will be launched in Maplebeck on 3 June. The launch event will comprise live music interspersed with films from thankful villages including Maplebeck. Need to co-ordinate with other nearby villages involved and start promoting event. BC offered to identify names of contacts in other villages. Need to sell 40 tickets at £10 to break even. DC asked to produce tickets DS will forward necessary info.

Talks to restart in the Autumn. JB confirmed this is in hand.

It is proposed to hold a race night in the autumn. JB to contact race company and check on availability

BC confirmed a quiz night would then take place in Feb/March 2017

DC stated more numbers were required for wine tasting.

DS reported that the Village Ventures music options this year were not very inspiring so it was agreed to leave this option and see what was available next year.

DS had been in touch with a genealogist who was prepared to give a talk but needed Wi-Fi for their presentation. DS to see if it will be possible to run a lead from a nearby house. DC stated free Wi-Fi would soon become a requirement which we would have to provide. DS to investigate providers, costs etc.

It was reported that Chris Pass’s son Thomas had written 2 books which he would be promoting at the garden fete. Anything we could do to help would be appreciated.

BG reported that a new yoga teacher had been found and classes would resume in the hall on Friday mornings commencing 6 May.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BC

DC/DS

 

 

 

JB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

8

AOB

DS expressed concern that SC appeared to be doing most of the cleaning of the hall herself. SC stated she was happy to continue with current hall usage however if bookings increased e.g. with Hockerton events then others may need to assist. DS;BG and JB all reiterated their willingness to help.

DS reported that he had received feedback from various sources about the poor acoustics in the hall, especially noticeable at the quiz. He will check the equipment to verify that is working properly and is also going to consult Broadway cinema to obtain technical advice on the hall acoustics generally.

Eon are going to install a smart meter on 24 May (PM) No bookings to be taken for this period as the power will be off for a short time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

Next Meeting:-

Wednesday 6 July 2016 - 8pm in the village hall

 

 

Posted 22 August 2016


  spacer  
Top Website B-Right Net © 2010-2018